South Korea – Facts and Information
Below we list some basic facts about South Korea, for a quick reference.
South Korea political facts
- Country name (Conventional form): Republic of Korea, South Korea.
- Country name local form: Taehan-min'guk, Han'guk.
- Abbreviation: ROK
South Korean flag:
The South Korean national flag is called Taegukki and it has a deep philosophical meaning that originates in the Chinese philosophy of Yin and Yang. The Korean flag represents the origin of all things in the universe and perfect harmony and balance.
The circle in the middle of the Korean flag represents yin and yang that are the opposite forces of the universe; yin (dark and cold) is represented by the blue part at the bottom, while yang (hot and bright) by the red half on top.
The symbols in the four corners, called Kwae (Kun, Kam, Yi, and Kon), represent the principle of movement and harmony. The white background of the South Korean flag represents peace.
South Korea quick facts
- Government type: Republic.
- Capital city: Seoul.
- Administrative divisions: 7 metropolitan cities and 9 provinces.
South Korea geographical facts
- Korean climate: Continental, with cold and dry winters and hot and humid summers.
- Geographical coordinates: 37 00 N, 127 30 E.
- Area: 99,000 sq km.
- Natural hazards: Occasional typhoons bring high winds and floods; low-level seismic activity common in southwest.
- Natural resources: Coal, tungsten, graphite, molybdenum, lead.
South Korea economic facts
- Currency: South Korean Won – KRW.
- South Korean companies famous worldwide: LG, Samsung, Hyundai.
- South Korean GDP: Over 20,000 USD in 2007.
- South Korean economic sectors: Service industry (55% of GDP); manufacturing sector (over 40% GDP); agriculture (about 4% GDP)
South Korea social facts
- Population in South Korea: About 50 million people mostly of Korean ethnicity apart from about 20,000 Chinese.
- Official Language: Korean.
- Religions: Christian 26.3% (Protestant 19.7%, Roman Catholic 6.6%), Buddhist 23.2%, other or unknown 1.3%, none 49.3%